 Castle / 13395
Re: Village, etc
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Sun, 9 Jun 2002 15:32:04 GMT

In lugnet.castle, John Henry Kruer writes:
In lugnet.castle, Kishin Wadhwani writes:
I know this Question may sound stupid but how do you slant the plates to use
as roofs?I might start building a village of my own soon.

There are many ways.
Here:
http://www.suave.net/~dave/images/newtown/alltown_ne.jpg
if you look at the house near the bottom-left hand corner, you can see that
the two 2-plate thick roof plates are linked at the top with some pairs of
1X2 plate hinges.  Then, just before the roof ends, the lower plates stop.
I would suppose they end at a bump that keeps the roof up.  If you don't
understand, just look at the house I pointed out.

Although it does appear that hinges were used, the sad truth is they
weren't! Back when my village was created, tan pieces were still pretty
rare, so I looked into using plates rather than slopes to save on Tan (since
tan plates were getting to the point of abundance in sets).

The answer, unfortunately, is far more simple than expected-- each roof half
is not actually attached to the building itself, OR to the other roof half!
They're simply lain down on the building (which has slanted walls), and have
a brick underneath them to prevent them from sliding off the walls of the
houses.

This house in particular (in the lower left of the picture) was done in a
different color scheme than most of the houses-- brown/tan rather than
black/white. And, because tan was rare (as was brown!), the roof was
required to be some very strange widths. Note that also the roof extends on
the *sides* by 1 stud length as well, whereas most of the other houses are
flush with the house walls (on the sides). That's to try and conceal the
fact that I had no more brown slopes on which to lean the roof... Anyway,
this bizarre roof construction (and my lack of remaining tan plates) forced
a strange interleaving of plates on this building's roof, which suprisingly
*does* give it the look of having hinges at the peak!

If you look at:
http://www.suave.net/~dave/images/newtown/alltown_sw.jpg
You can see another building's roof seam in the lower left-- if you were to
peek at all the rest of the OTHER tan roofs, this is what they'd look like.
No hinges or strange interleavings--- though if I had enough hinges, I
probably would have done it that way instead!

DaveE