 Castle / 12884
Re: -CASTLE _4_ EVER-
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Fri, 12 Apr 2002 20:51:21 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Richard Marchetti writes:
Mr. PANTS writes:
- The old molds still exist and are usable.  And LEGO is willing
   to have Customer Service replace all of our broken helmets,
   of which there will be a lot.  This isn't likely, as the old
   helmet was not very durable.

Small point of contention here (and I am reminded of the recent assertion
that the new cypress trees were somehow defective or made of cheaper plastic
-- which likewise proved false), but the old style "classic" helmet was of
two distinct designs; one of which may have been weaker in the chinstrap and
subject to breakage, whereas the other one was not.  Fair is fair, let's be
sure of what we are talking about.  I have never had helmets of either type
simply blow apart at the chinstrap -- so unless one steps on the helmet or
otherwise helps it to destruction, I remain skeptical that the helmet was of
a flawed design and somehow "more" subject to breakage than the average element.

Anyway, if they used the sturdier chinstrap helmet, there is no reason to
not make the yellow castle exactly  as it was designed before -- if they
could get new molds of the helmet and visor, that is...

Since pictures are worth thousands of words, please see:

http://members.aol.com/blueofnoon3/lego/ClassicHelmets.html

-- Hop-Frog

I hope you are right because I love the old visors and they cost an arm and
a leg and you mostly have to get them from Germany right now.  I highly
doubt, however, that the phrase 'looking like modern day helmets' in the 375
rerelease description means using the old helmets with the reinforced
chinstraps, since that particular part has also been unavailable for years
and years.  I find in equally unlikely that a grill and feathers visor in
the classic style the fits the new motorcycle shaped helmets is going to be
forthcoming.  That said, whatever shortcomings a 375 rerelease may have, I
am still getting one if I can.

Aaron D.