 CAD / Ray-Tracing / 2910
Re: Transparent colors in POV-Ray
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.ray
Date:
Thu, 11 Jun 2009 23:31:16 GMT

In lugnet.cad.ray, Travis Cobbs wrote:
For reasons that I don't understand, the apparent transparency of things in the
final POV output is greatly influenced by the background color.  Set the
background color to black, and things look substantially more transparent than
when it's set to white.

LDView doesn't use the T parameter of colors at all for transparent colors,
which means that 0 gets used.  I'm using 0.85 for F, but the difference between
0.85 and 0.9 is visually very minor.

On a side note, ior is not a valid setting for finish according to the
documentation.  It's now supposed to be in interior instead.

--Travis

Background is black by default, I got the habit of using rgbft from
http://guide.lugnet.com/color/ and think it does look a bit nicer than rgbf, but
it turns out I did not completely understood the meaning of it (see my answer to
mike).

As for ior, it's only added if <>1.0 and indeed causes a warning. Using it
'correctly' means defining material instead of textures which will cause some
internal problems I'm not willing to address for the upcoming version.:)