 CAD / Ray-Tracing / 2840
Re: Opinions sought on rendering method
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.ray
Date:
Tue, 9 Oct 2007 08:23:36 GMT

In lugnet.cad.ray, Travis Cobbs wrote:
   In lugnet.cad.ray, Jim DeVona wrote:
   Would it make sense for part transparency to influence the output alpha channel? In your example, the mask is uniform over the whole model, including parts of the windshield which you would hypothetically be able to see through.

Actually, if you look you will see that parts of it are somewhat transparent (like the left edge of the windscreen). All of it that has the background visible through transparent parts is supposed to be somewhat transparent, but it looks like my routine that does that is broken. However, even if that worked, there would be two problems. The first is that I try to make that part partially transparent in the PNG file, but I make all of it the same level of transparency, no matter how many transparent layers it went through first. That’s obviously not right.

The second is that the background color (white in the example) in LDView still gets blended with the color of the parts that are supposed to allow the background to show through. It may be that with an extra alpha pass I can fix that and get things to render “right”. I’ll play around with it some more.

OK, I played around with this tonight for a few hours, and finally came up with something that I think I’m happy with. It requires 3 passes of the transparent polygons (just during snapshot save with SaveAlpha enabled), but it seems to get reasonable transparency info into the alpha channel of the file, and it doesn’t blend transparent parts into LDView’s selected background color.

Below are two different resolution samples of the same rendering. Please put various backgrounds behind it and let me know what you think.

1600x1200 800x600

--Travis