 CAD / Ray-Tracing / 2587
2586  |  2588
Subject:
Remix Lenin Challenge Entry
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.ray
Date:
Mon, 6 Feb 2006 17:41:57 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

One more version, without the text.

The last render remixes I made were realistic and quite gritty looking, so I decided to do something smoother, flatter (in terms of realism), and more like an illustration. Click the links to see the different versions at full size.

Now, don’t be frightened, but this was a hundred step process. That’s because a lot of the work was done “by hand” in Photoshop and GIMP. This is the actual render which POV-Ray spit out at me:

The render was achieved using a spherical camera, a couple area lights (my version of L3P uses area lights by default), lugnet colors, and no radiosity. Really nothing fancy, just a few hoops to jump through in order to get smooth minifig parts... From there I created a dozen masks in Photoshop, used various edge detection techniques and a lot of hand tweaking to get the final effect. I wish I could explain it in more detail, but there were a LOT of details involved.

Hopefully, this entry should illustrate that you don’t need to spend ten hours tweaking and calculating a radiosity solution to come up with a good image.