 CAD / Ray-Tracing / 1662
1661  |  1663
Subject:
Level B Simplification - LDraw Boxer
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.ray
Date:
Tue, 11 Feb 2003 04:19:23 GMT

Level B Simplification: Replace with plain boxes only those parts that has
all its studs and inside totally hidden by other parts.

I've just finished a program that scans for all non-transparent parts that
has their studs and bottoms covered with other non-transparent parts. Then
it replaces them with plain boxes, relieving POV from rendering studs and
tubes that can't possibly be seen anyway.

Trying this program on the Datsville Town Hall, it automatically replaced
1001 parts with boxes!

Two notes: Town Hall took more than half to go through on my AMD P1100, so
don't panic if your PC gets busy for a while.
And: Don't use this program on the only original copy of your masterpiece, I
leave no guarantees...

http://home.swipnet.se/simlego/ldraw/ldboxer/p_ld1.zip (170 kb)
You'll also need these files copied into %LDRAWDIR%\Parts\B\
http://home.swipnet.se/simlego/ldraw/ldboxer/b.zip (32 kb)