 CAD / Ray-Tracing / 1454
Re: Weird Logo Issue at L3P Quality Level 3
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.ray
Date:
Fri, 6 Sep 2002 19:01:40 GMT

In lugnet.cad.ray, Steve Bliss writes:
Considering the usefulness of modeling mirrored parts this way (one file
just references the other file) (it saves time and bytes), I'd say this
is a problem that needs resolution in software.  I *think* it could
addressed with a POV-Ray macro, but I haven't seriously played with
POV-Ray in so long, I wouldn't know where to start.

I believe that Lars agrees with you regarding the fact that we can't expect
parts not to use mirroring.  However, based on his knowledge of POV, fixing
this would require a complete change in the way L3P works.  It would have to
internally flatten everything, and do the mirror checking itself.  This
would result in extremely large POV output files, not to mention being
generally not very "clean".

If there is a way to fix the problem using a macro, I'm sure Lars would be
glad to hear it.  However, it is my understanding that the problem with POV
macros (at least in POV 3.1) is that they are only evaluated once.  Since
only some of the studs will be mirrored, this won't help.

--Travis Cobbs (tcobbs@REMOVE.halibut.com)