 CAD / MLCad / 1327
Re: MLCAD for PALM?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.mlcad
Date:
Wed, 5 Jun 2002 20:15:48 GMT

In lugnet.cad.mlcad, Duane Hess writes:
What are the requirements, or at least *suggested* requirements for MLCAD?
I'm thinking even something like the HP Jornada should be sufficient. (All
right, I know that the Jornada is different than a Palm) Will MLCAD work on
Windows CE?

Well, the parts library all by itself is 21.1 megs (at least the one I have
is).  While this will technically fit on a 64 meg device (and maybe even on
a 32 meg device), I doubt too many people would want to devote such a large
percentage of their available memory to it.  A viewer could presumably be
made that would be capable of loading the parts from a memory card, but this
might take a lot of work (then again, it might not; I have no idea).

I think the biggest problem, though, is the fact that a vast majority of all
Pocket PC devices have a 240x320 screen resolution.  There's no way you are
going to be able to produce a version of the MLCAD interface that will work
at this resolution.

So, in order to "port" MLCAD to a PocketPC, the interface would have to be
re-done from scratch.  I'm dubious that it would be even possible to produce
a decent interface for a DAT editor in the style of MLCAD given the screen
size constraints.  You certainly couldn't keep most of MLCAD's editing
features.  The ledit-based editing functionality in LDGLite might work
better; I haven't used it, but I assume it doesn't require much screen real
estate.

On the other hand, it would probably be feasible to port a Windows-based DAT
VIEWER to PocketPC devices.  A port of something like L3Lab might even be
fairly straightforward (assuming you get rid of the tool bar and optimize
the interface for small size).  With something like L3Lab, it could probably
even qualify as more a port than a rewrite from scratch.  Mind you, I have
no idea what the performance would be like.  But for MLCAD, it seems to me
that there's just too big of a difference between the environments for a
"port" to be feasible.

--Travis Cobbs (tcobbs@REMOVE.halibut.com)

p.s. Unless somebody knows about an OpenGL driver for PocketPC, my own
LDView app won't be able to be ported.