 CAD / LeoCAD / 166
165  |  167
Subject:
Running Leocad under linux (Ubuntu 8.10 32-bit)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.leocad
Date:
Sun, 14 Dec 2008 16:39:40 GMT

For anyone interested, I will hereby share my experiences with Leocad under Linux (Ubuntu 8.10 32-bit) I write this because I stumbled across some issues which might be related to LeoCad itself or just my complete lack of experience.

This being said you have to understand that I have NO experience with Linux whatsoever. I used LeoCad to test if I could install a program without the use of Add/Remove or Synaptic.... Well the first thing to notice was that the installation package for LeoCad is a .rpm file, and after some searching i found out that you must have a .deb for Ubuntu. (And I thought that every Linux distro was the same, how naive) So after some more searching and fiddling I managed to convert the package using Alien. (Remember I’m a newbie to linux!)

I succesfully managed to install it in the desired place, after setting the right privileges to the correct folder (I even had to use the console, the horror for the average Windows user! good thing I have some DOS-command line experience from the good old days. EMS-memory and DOS=High,UMB anyone?) After the installation I secretly hoped that the LeoCad application would magically pop-up in the application menu but no. So I figured out how to make a custom launcher and guess what? it worked! There it was, the well known LeoCad main window! native under Linux! Maybe the time has come to finally do away with Windows all together. (not possible though, as a design engineer a use the CAD-program Pro/Engineer and they skipped the linux version of this since the latest edition)

After I fiddled around with the programI noticed some issues:

First: The preferences menu is flawed: the ’ general’ tab is completely empty. So this also means that I cannot change some settings.

Secondly: the program is not able to open a folder on a mounted NTFS partition (the place where all my files are stored, the idea is that I can access this partition under both Windows and Linux) I had to copy my existing .lcd files to the Linux partition to open them.

Third: I alway place the ‘Standard’ and ‘Drawing toolbar on the same height. this way I have the largest possible working window. This is not possible under linux. Also it seems that LeoCad is unable to remember the screen layout, it always reverts back to the default look.

Everything seems to work further, although I haven’ t tried to update the pieces library for example.

So for anyone reading this: are there more people with these problems? Have I done anything wrong? Are there actually bugs in leoCad? I don’t know and maybe this story can help.

Robert