Re: Parts Tracker Status (offscreen part rendering)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, lugnet.cad
Date:
Thu, 15 May 2003 17:32:58 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Travis Cobbs writes:
In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Dan Boger writes:
well, the problem is that we don't have the MESA libraries installed,
and it's going to be a problem setting them up on the server.  We are
working to have the pictures generated in semi-real time off the server
though.

Unless you can somehow make ldglite not require MESA (and X?) libraries
for off screen generation?

Just as a note, if you don't have root access, you should be still able to
compile and use the Mesa libraries purely from your account.  This might
take a little know-how, and you'll have to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to include
whatever directory you end up installing them into.  But it should work.

Or you could build and link with static versions of the Mesa libraries.
Then you just have to worry about the one executable.

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Don Heyse writes:
With a little work you should even be able to build it on a headless
box using a stub version of glut.  The MESA Offscreen library (OSMesa)
doesn't use X and should build without it.  When ldglite runs in
in offscreen mode it only makes OSMesa calls and bypasses even the glut
library, so I think a stub would work there.  If I were trying to build
it on a headless box, I'd see about building OSMesa first.  Then I'd
get the glut header and see if I could remove any references to GLX.
Then I'd try to build ldglite.  Hopefully it would get to the linker
stage and fail on the missing glut functions.  At this point I'd create
a stub glut.c with empty procedures for the missing (but unused) glut
functions and then try to link it in.

Ok, I tried this and it seems to work.  Here's how:

Grab the latest ldglite sources from CVS.  This gets you a new
makefile makefile.osmesa and a file osmglut.c containing stubs for the
unused glut functions.

  cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.ldglite.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/ldglite
checkout ldglite

Grab the latest mesa sources and install it in the ldglite/Mesa-5.0.1
directory.

Cd into the Mesa directory and configure it to build without X and
include static versions of the libraries.

  cd Mesa-5.0.1
  ./configure --without-x --enable-static

Build the GL OSMesa and GLU libraries.

  cd src
  make
  cd ../src-glu
  make

Drop down into the ldglite directory and build it with OSMesa.  Strip
the executable to reduce the size down to about 2.5 MB.

  cd ../..
  make -f makefile.osmesa
  strip ldglite

I tried this method on a linux box and it seemed to work for offscreen
rendering.  BSD should be just about the same.

If you want to use dynamic libs you'll have to edit the makefile and
remove the -static linker directive.  You'll probably have to install
the shared libraries using Travis's method above or by following the
instructions in the Mesa-5.0.1/doc/INSTALL file.

Enjoy,

Don