 CAD / Development / Macintosh / 870

Re: Copy of MacMegaPov 0.7
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.mac
Date:
Fri, 20 Jul 2007 01:13:02 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.mac, Jon Palmer wrote:
   I’m trying to do the old find_edges renders with the current version of MacMegaPov and they aren’t working. Reading through here, it sounds like the 0.7 version of the program works fine for this.

I’ve googled up and down but can’t find 0.7 anywhere. Can somone out there point me to the file online or send me a copy?

You are awesome if you can.

I have a copy sitting here:
http://bricksmith.sourceforge.net/files/MacMegaPov0.7.zip

I got it by e-mailing the maintainers of MacMegaPOV several years ago. In later correspondence, they also told me the edge-tracer in the newer version of MacMegaPOV had not been optimized by its author. The result is that edge-tracing renders take 5 minutes in 0.7 and over an hour in 1.1+. Obviously I recommend avoiding newer versions like the plague. Even running under Rosetta I bet the old 0.7 runs circles around the newer one. (But I haven’t tested it yet.)

MacMegaPOV 0.7 is very difficult-to-find software. I’ve quietly hosted it for quite a while, pointing people toward it when they ask the scary question of how to make good instructions on the Mac. It all screams out for a detailed tutorial, but I’ve never gotten around to it, partly because I’m embarrased by how complex a process it is.

Allen

Re: Copy of MacMegaPov 0.7