 CAD / Development / Macintosh / 591
Re: LDRAWPREDIRS LDRAWPOSTDIRS - additional search paths
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.mac, lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Mon, 1 Mar 2004 18:39:15 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.mac, James Reynolds wrote:
One other thing.  Environment variables work too, but only serious
Unixy Mac OS X people actually modify them--that is, some developers,
but no one else.  Normal users would even know what they are.  Heck,
even I don't modify mine.  For my l3p and ldglite launcher apps, I
grab
the ldrawdir from the prefs, then I modify the environment variable
before it is launched.   But the variable is wiped out once the app is
quit.

Actually Environment variables work pretty well on OS X because they've
set up a standard place to put them, and it's one of those plist files.
See here for details.

  http://ldglite.sourceforge.net/osxinstall.html

It would be nice though to have a standard fallback location for the
LDRAWDIR and LDRAWSEARCH paths.  Somewhere generic like:

/Library/Preferences/org.ldraw.mac.plist

  or

~/Library/Preferences/org.ldraw.mac.plist

I'll have to go back and see what we said about it over the summer.

Oh.  I didn't know it was as easy as:

~/MacOSX/environment.plist

I guess that is one route.

In Cocoa, which is what Andrew and I are both developing in now, it is
really easy to grab prefs that have a unique name for the application.
It isn't too much harder to look somewhere else.  But I am assuming
Andrew was like me and just took the easier road and grabbed the prefs
that had the application's unique name.  This was the code I was going
to write.  We can use ~/MacOSX/environment.plist as easily as anything
else.  We just have to decide what to do.

I'm starting to spend my free time on LDraw stuff again, so maybe I
will finally write it.

--

James Reynolds
http://www.cc.utah.edu/~jer29950