 CAD / Development / Macintosh / 587
Re: LDRAWPREDIRS LDRAWPOSTDIRS - additional search paths
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.mac, lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Mon, 1 Mar 2004 17:26:37 GMT

I think we need to allow for an ldraw.ini in the Windows directory
for backwards compatibliity with old programs and older single user
Windows systems, but it should be the last place searched.  Ie.
search HOME, LDRAWDIR, and then Windows.  Also, you may want to do
a different search for the LDRAWDIR.  First look in the environment,
then the HOME directory, then the WINDOWS directory.  On unix/MacOsX
could we substitute /etc for the Windows directory?

Andrew, it'd be nice if an active Mac developer spoke up on this.

Finally, if we start putting ldraw.ini in the LDRAWDIR, how do we
decide what belongs in ldraw.ini and ldconfig.ldr?  For instance if we
go with the <LDRAWDIR>p form (without the slash character), the
default search paths are platform independent and could conceivably be
worked into the ldconfig.ldr file.

/etc would work, except it would require admin permission to install,
which is something the Mac OS X community doesn't like for an
installer/app that isn't a system modifying type of installer/app.
Saving stuff in /etc/ will also not survive a major OS upgrade (from
10.2 to 10.3) unless the user chooses the less preferred upgrade method
which merges 10.2 and 10.3 (which is messy and nobody recommends it).

The other Unix way of doing things exists on Mac OS X too, that is,
~/.bla_rc.  Most Unix/linux ports do this.  This will survive a major
OS upgrade if the user choose to preserve user and networking data,
which is the most preferred method of upgrading.

The Apple preferred "GUI" way to store prefs is for a user level pref
to use ~/Library/Preferences/com.name.app.plist and a computer level
pref to use /Library/Preferences/com.name.app.plist.

I don't think us Mac OS X people have really decided how to do this.
I'm saving my prefs in
~/Library/Preferences/org.ldraw.mac.l3p_launcher.plist.  I Andrew is
using ~/Library/Preferences/Mac Brick CAD.plist.

A plist file is a "property list", which is an xml formated file with
keys and values.  Andrew's file looks like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN"
"http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>LdrawFolder</key>
<string>/Library/ldraw/</string>
</dict>

Mine plist looks like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN"
"http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>ldraw_folder</key>
<string>/Library/ldraw</string>
</dict>

We talked about making it uniform awhile back, and I even said I was
going to write some code that would check for the folder and ask the
user to define it and such and such but I never did.

--

James Reynolds
http://www.cc.utah.edu/~jer29950