 CAD / Development / LDraw Connection Database / 71
70  |  72
Subject:
Questions concerning the implementation of the LDraw Colour Definition Language Extension
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.lcd
Date:
Mon, 4 Apr 2011 16:28:39 GMT

Greetings everyone,
I am a newbie to this mailing list, but I have been using LDraw-oriented
software for close to a decade now.

I am currently developing (and have been, in my spare time for several years) a
sandbox-style building game called FreeBuild oriented around the construction of
(and combat with) Lego vehicles, spaceships, mechs, etc. Most of my time in the
last year and a half has been dominated by ensuring my game engine will have the
technical infrastructure to handle this task, and I am now ready to begin
implementing the building portion of this game, which I am basing around the
LDraw parts library. I am working with a derivative of the LDLITE lexer/parser
(with permission from Paul Gyugyi, the original author), and am in the process
of modifying it to suit the needs of my application. Part of this process
modifying it to support the Colour Definition Language Extension instead of the
proprietary-to-LDLITE color metacommands currently present in the parser.

The documentation for both version 1.0.0 of the core LDraw file format, and for
the Colour Definition language extension mention several language features which
they do not fully document. The Colour Definition language extension lists
"DITHER" as a valid keyword tag to be used as part of a 0 !COLOUR line, but
fails to document the arguments which can be supplied to it, and how they should
be interpreted.

The file format document itself mentions both "Direct Colors" and what appears
to be a competing specification for blended/dithered colors, but does not
specify how either of these would appear within a part or model.

Any information that could be provided on these language features, or the
prevalence of direct colors within models "in the wild" would be extremely
helpful to my implementation and optimization for using LDraw files within my
game engine.

Many Thanks,
Thomas Dickerson