 CAD / Development / LDraw Connection Database / 21
20  |  22
Subject:
Re[4]: I have read the article about LCD
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.lcd
Date:
Wed, 27 Feb 2002 03:07:50 GMT

Hi Damien!

DG> Now you speak about layers.
DG> That is precisely what I called "multiple syntax levels".
DG> Software layers are known to be very bad for software engineering and design
DG> in general.

I don't think so.
What about object oriented programming? Is it bad or obsolete?
What about the different layers of protocols? Are these
works and are these flexible enough to expand?
What about standards? Some new standard based on a very new approach,
and some are based on a previous standard.

So a basic LDraw editor may not need to handle the LMPL level, but an
animation program does. And a simple textual editor (like Carsten's
very new and fantastic LDDesignPad, many thanks Carsten!) may not
need neither the LCD level and LMPL. And maybe there will be another
layer based on LCD what not needs LMPL.
This will help to keep structured the knowledge bases and functionality
levels.

(If I have bread, butter, jam and tomato slices I will not mix
together the butter and the jam. Maybe I want only bread, butter and
tomato, or only bread and butter...)

DG> Hence, LCD statements could be seamlessly integrated into part files.

We intend not to touch the part files (if it's possible) since the LCD
will be a complex database for connections, and the part files remain
to contain the pure geometry itself.

--
    ___       Bye:       KACS, The BrickaMocka
   /___\__
   |o o|      E-mail:    kacs69@freemail.hu
  _\_~_/_                kacs@makacs.hu
/|LEGO |\               lcd@makacs.hu
C |==|==| C              Brick, Brick Hurray! :)
  |__|__|