 CAD / Development / 9777
Re: Request change to ptreleases.cgi
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Mon, 2 Aug 2004 18:55:01 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Steve Bliss wrote:
It could be argued that this should be either changed to a totally flat,
straight list of files (sort of the XML equivalant of the tab-delimited list),
or modified to a more hierarchical presentation.

I actually considered that when you made your original post.  However, there are
actually multiple different perfectly valid heirarchies, and for this reason I
think the flat list is better overall.  Here's an example with a different
heirarchical structure than yours:

<releases>
    <BASE>
        <ARJ>
        </ARJ>
        <ZIP>
        </ZIP>
    </BASE>
    <UPDATE>
       <ARJ>
           <2004-02>
           </2004-02>
           <2004-01>
           </2004-01>
       </ARJ>
       <ZIP>
       </ZIP>
    </UPDATE>
    <COMPLETE>
    </COMPLETE>
</releases>

Rather than argue the merits of various different ways of making the data
heirarchical, I personally vote for the flat list.  I believe it's easier for a
program to parse in whatever way the program wants to parse it.

--Travis