 CAD / Development / 9570
Re: LDRAWPREDIRS LDRAWPOSTDIRS - additional search paths
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Fri, 5 Mar 2004 19:58:00 GMT

"Don Heyse" <dheyse@hotmail.spam.go.away.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
<SNIP>
Here's how I see it working:

1.  The admin creates an LDRAW directory on the server.
2.  The admin creates extra parts directories under <LDRAWDIR> on the • server.
3.  The admin creates an ldraw.ini file in the <LDRAWDIR> using the new
    GUI program and adds extra LDrawSearch paths for the extra dirs using
    the OS neutral <LDRAWDIR>\ExtraParts format.
4.  The admin edits the NT login script \\PDC\netlogin\login.bat
    to set LDRAWDIR env variable.  This will cause all NT users
    to find the ldraw.ini file on the server and use the extra dirs.
4.5.  Depending on the installation, there may be a global script for
    UNIX clients that does the same thing.
4.75  For networked Mac users he creates the global pref file
    /Library/Preferences/org.ldraw.plist with LDRAWDIR and LDrawSearch
    settings in it.
5.  The user logs on and runs MLCAD off of the server.  It reads
    the LDRAWDIR environment variable and finds the <LDRAWDIR>/ldraw.ini • file
    with the extra part directories.
6.  The user decides he wants to add the MegaBlok parts.  He copies the
    <LDRAWDIR>ldraw.ini file to his HOME directory and adds a path for
    <HOME>/clones where he has stored the clone parts.  Maybe he even adds
    the tags <PARTS> and <CLONES> to identify them better for some future
    version of LPUB.
7.  He also adds the knex parts and labels the directory with the extra • tags
    <PARTS>, <KNEX>, and <SKIP> because he wants to search for knex parts
    before things in the <MODELDIR>, but only when he's enabled KNEX. • Most
    of the time he wants to ignore them.
8.  Finally he adds the boxer parts and labels that directory <PARTS>, • <BOXES>,
    and <SKIP> for similar reasons.  He can't put them in • %LDRAWDIR%\PARTS\B
    because that's set to read only by the admin.  Hopefully a future • version
    of the boxer program will be able to find them in the new location. • Or
    maybe a future version of Windows will allow a user to create real • soft
    links instead of those useless shortcut links...

I think this all works ok with the search strategy I listed earlier.

Don

There is also some network software for NT and unix, which mounts a network
drive as a sub-directory (event under Windows). This could be a possible way
to do as well.

Michael