 CAD / Development / 9551
Re: LDRAWPREDIRS LDRAWPOSTDIRS - additional search paths
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 3 Mar 2004 01:37:47 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Michael Lachmann wrote:
I'm talking on file level now, I still would prefer the syntax like style of
HIDE and SHOW but we can also see it as an
option in which case I would take them into brackets.
So if it is easier or better when using in environment variables go for it -
but we should get them equally processed in variables and files.

The data contained in either environment variables or ini files
should have exactly the same format.

Quotation marks should not be necessay if we use the < >.

You are right but I still would allow them for the rare case of blanks at
the end of a directory name.

Trailing blanks are preserved in both env var and ini files.
So I still don't think quotation marks are necessary...

In the week end I plan to write a small library (in C) for reading the env • vars and LDraw.ini's
to set up the directories. I'll also write an LDrawSetup application with • a GUI for editing LDraw.ini.
All open source, if you want to save the effort yourself.
/Lars

I will have to write it myself - MLCad is not open source!

I didn't mean open source in the GPL way.
The library is free to use with no ties - other than I would like to be notified
if you make any changes/corrections, so I can update it.
Actually I hope you will all use it, so we get the exact same behaviour in all programs.
An LDraw code repository...

I'm almost done writing the library and the LDrawSetup application.
I want the library to be as simple as possible to use.
Reading the env vars and ini files is platform independent,
only the hunt for ini files goes into #ifdef's.

I think having ldraw.ini in LDRAWDIR is contradictory, the hen and egg problem.
To keep thing simple I would like to have only *one* ldraw.ini,
and since we're going to have it in HOME/USERPROFILE/windir anyway to find the LDRAWDIR,
I don't see any reason to spread it out.

The hunt for ldraw.ini could be:
Windows:
%LDRAWINI%
%USERPROFILE%\ldraw.ini