 CAD / Development / 9545
Re: LDRAWPREDIRS LDRAWPOSTDIRS - additional search paths
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.cad.dev.mac
Date:
Mon, 1 Mar 2004 18:33:14 GMT

"Don Heyse" <dheyse@hotmail.spam.go.away.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
I'm only willing to abandon environment variables if you're willing to
go the distance and really try to work out a standard that we all can
use.  I, like Lars, was quite disappointed when you got impatient and
cut short the previous discussion thread.  I thought we were still
making good progress at the time.  Since you're currently an LSC
member, I'd think you could at least try to be more patient with the
rest of us as we work this out.  Please rejoin that thread and
comment on the remaining issues:

  1.  <LDRAWDIR>\p or <LDRAWDIR>p
  2.  <HIDE> instead of HIDE
  3.  Allowing other tags like <PARTS> and ignoring unrecognized ones.

Done, sorry about that - but it was a hard day at work :-(

Ok now as Travis pointed out, we still need to find the LDRAWDIR
directory.  We also need environment variables to find the other
places ldraw.ini (or .ldrawrc) could reside; the WINDIR, USERPROFILE,
and HOME directories.  So we can't completely abandon environment
variables.  However there are there are reasons like java and macos9
why we might want to limit their use.

As mentioned earlier in this thread ... we should go with:

1) Users Home Directory
2) LDraw Directory
3) Windows directory

This work fine for single user systems as well - they would just start at
"Ldraw directory" if there is no users directory.

<SNIP>
Finally, if we start putting ldraw.ini in the LDRAWDIR, how do we
decide what belongs in ldraw.ini and ldconfig.ldr?  For instance if we
go with the <LDRAWDIR>p form (without the slash character), the
default search paths are platform independent and could conceivably be
worked into the ldconfig.ldr file.

I would suggest program configuration information, machine relevant
information and machine dependend informations beeing in the ini files,
while ldraw and (hardware independand) rendering specific configurations
(like colours) should be in the ldconfig.ldr.
This makes sence, as your program might not be able to read the ldconfig.ldr
without knowing machine and installation details.

Michael

Don