 CAD / Development / 9510
Re: LDRAWPREDIRS LDRAWPOSTDIRS - additional search paths
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Tue, 17 Feb 2004 23:21:33 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Michael Lachmann wrote:
[LDraw]
BaseDirectory=C:\LDraw
LgeoDirectory=C:\L2P
LdrawSearch="<HIDE>C:\LDrawXtra\MyPrims\In Work|
      C:\LDrawXtra\MyParts\In Work|
      <MODELDIR>|<HIDE><LDRAWDIR>\BFC\P|<HIDE><LDRAWDIR>\BFC\PARTS|
      <HIDE><P>|<PARTS>|<MODELS>|<MODELS>\TEST|C:\LDrawXtra\MyParts\Done"

I like the single LdrawSearch variable because it's easier for me to
pull out of the ldraw.ini file, but I'm willing to go with your format
for the ldraw.ini file if you allow absolute paths.  Maybe something
like this?

Have you ever tried to pull out a variable under MS-Windows with a length of
500 characters? Or what would happen if the definition goes past 10 lines?
Using seperators like '|' I see potential for making errors. But you are
right its a possible solution.
Against that is that the ini file already contains sections, and we try to
mix logic and paths ... this is not a very clean solution.

Right. In case the variable gets too long we can resort to multiple variables:
[LDraw]
BaseDirectory=C:\LDraw
LgeoDirectory=C:\L2P
LdrawSearch01=<HIDE>C:\LDrawXtra\MyPrims\In Work
LdrawSearch02=C:\LDrawXtra\MyParts\In Work
LdrawSearch03=<MODELDIR>
LdrawSearch04=<HIDE><LDRAWDIR>\BFC\P
LdrawSearch05=<HIDE><LDRAWDIR>\BFC\PARTS
LdrawSearch06=<HIDE><LDRAWDIR>\P
LdrawSearch07=<LDRAWDIR>\PARTS
LdrawSearch08=<LDRAWDIR>\MODELS
LdrawSearch09=<LDRAWDIR>\MODELS\TEST
LdrawSearch10=C:\LDrawXtra\MyParts\Done
LdrawSearch11=\\127.0.0.1\freedrive\public\ldraw\parts
LdrawSearch12=<HIDE>/tmp/ldraw-temp-parts/

and this goes for environment variables too: LDRAWSEARCH01, LDRAWSEARCH02, ...

I would suggest: Default is that the paths are based on the ldraw directory.
E.g.: MODELS\TEST or PARTS

If you want to have another folder different from the ldraw directory I
would use an absolute specification of the path. That means there are no
'<', '>' brackets in the path specification.
An absolute path can start with one of "\\", "/" or "C:".
E.g. C:\TEMP or /usr/home/mike or even \\server\share\directory\parts

But then you would have to make a (platform dependent) path analyzer.
Also <LDRAWDIR>\MODELS\TEST is more readable to the user.

About the shortcuts <P>, <PARTS> and <MODELS> I guess they can be allowed
but they are not that necessary anymore - unless you want a single LDRAWSEARCH.
<MODELS> and <MODELDIR> might also lead to confusion.
/Lars