 CAD / Development / 9120
  Re: announcing TrackDraw (BrickFest preview)

(...) I noticed you're using .Net So it might actually work on Linux boxes since the Framework is also available for Linux. See: (URL) for more info about a .Net framework implementation. -Frank (21 years ago, 7-Aug-03, to lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: announcing TrackDraw (BrickFest preview)

(...) ... (...) I've heard about Linux-based versions of .NET, but I don't have any personal experience with them. It may be very reasonable to port to Linux -- I think the largest stumbling block will be an accurate port of GDI+, the 2D drawing (...) (21 years ago, 7-Aug-03, to lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: announcing TrackDraw (BrickFest preview)

(...) Cool, new code! I'll have to go easy on the Microsoft bashing for a little while. By the way, what is .Net anyhow? I thought it was the latest name for SOAP (perhaps that explains the XML). And hey, since TrackDraw seems to import and export (...) (21 years ago, 7-Aug-03, to lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: announcing TrackDraw (BrickFest preview)

In lugnet.cad.dev, Don Heyse wrote: ... (...) In short, it's an application platform written for Windows. TrackDraw itself is just a self-contained executable. Unlike traditional Windows applications, it doesn't touch the registry. (...) No, but (...) (21 years ago, 7-Aug-03, to lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: announcing TrackDraw (BrickFest preview)

(...) I did some digging, and mono indeed supports System.Drawing, with the help of the cairo library ( (URL) ) being a linux developer, I volunteer to test your application and send patches whenever they'll be needed. Sincerely Amaury (21 years ago, 2-Sep-03, to lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: announcing TrackDraw (BrickFest preview)

(...) ... (...) ... I replied directly to Amaury about helping, which I appreciate. But I'm curious: does anyone know of a online discussion on the challenges of porting a substantial application from Windows .NET to Linux? To keep this mildly on (...) (21 years ago, 2-Sep-03, to lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: announcing TrackDraw (BrickFest preview)

(...) Yes, since I started one for you: (URL) .NET to Linux (?)> The people at (URL) Ars Technica> are always very knowledgable. And if they don't know something, they do know where you can go to find answers. (21 years ago, 2-Sep-03, to lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.off-topic.geek, FTX)

  Re: announcing TrackDraw (BrickFest preview)

(...) ... This is very interesting, but I want to set expectations clearly: - I will not spend any time porting TrackDraw to another platform. - I will release sources with the executable so that others may do so. - I will not integrate changes made (...) (21 years ago, 2-Sep-03, to lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: announcing TrackDraw (BrickFest preview)

(...) In support of the LAST point (below), which strikes me as the most important point (why do hobby stuff it it's not FUN???)... I would suggest that all platform changes that others do be done using the equivalent of #IFDEF so that the .net (...) (21 years ago, 2-Sep-03, to lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.off-topic.geek)