 CAD / Development / 8811
Re: Resolution
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 23 Apr 2003 01:53:30 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Dave Schuler! wrote:

When authoring new elements, how important is the level of detail in LDraw
format?  That is, for more complex curves and surfaces, is it necessary to
get as close to the real thing as possible?  As an alternative, is it
acceptable to get pretty close (like the way the 8-8sphe.dat primitive is
"close" to a true sphere in LDraw) and to inline some POV-Ray code to make
the finished product look extra nifty?

For general features, the standard rule of thumb is to model details which are 1LDU
or larger.  To cleanly model some features, you certainly can run into decimal places
-- I typically go to 2 or 3 decimal places in part files.  Any use of the curved
primitives is considered 'exact' -- if you use 1-4edge.dat, you are drawing an
'exact' arc of a circle.  We know it's really a 4-segment polyline, but the intent is
for it to be an arc of a circle.

AFAIAC, the jury is still out on inlined POV-Ray code.  I'm not real keen about
coding another graphic language into LDraw parts, so I would recommend doing it with
restraint.

Steve