 CAD / Development / 6823
6822  |  6824
Subject:
LCD - LDraw Connection Database
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Mon, 4 Feb 2002 16:54:11 GMT

Dear all,

after we changed the topic to 'LCD - LDraw Connection Database' I
modified the logo. Let me say some words about it, what it
symbolize.

There is the letter "L". Now it means LDraw and subsidiary we can
think that it means LEGO too, but we say it's LDraw right now. So
there is a hidden twin meaning of it, and that's represented by the
two color.
The color white -as the most complex one- represents the LEGO itself,
as a matter what LDraw realizes virtually.
The color yellow represents the LDraw, as a system that we can use,
and what is more, we can take affect on it e.g. with a new part
editing to dat, write a tutorial, or simply with an idea.

There is the color stripes on it -as the colorful world- keeps the two
half part together and make for us a wonderful unit, because we love
both the LEGO and LDraw. And there is the white stripe at the bottom,
as a base, and the yellow one in the other side, and these two
embraces the same wonderful world, but from a little bit different
point of view.

The letters "C" and "D" are red and blue, represents the two main
types of the connections: Female and Male. And these two together
means the Connection Database.

There are two Minifigs still building the letters. This represents us,
the community, as we bring new pieces to build up something new we
need, the LCD.

That is what I intended to draw (ehh, to LDraw, of course!;) And I hope
it will be the spirit of the project, helping us to bring the idea alive.

So it's a big subproject, and in this case we need to keep it
organized well. Now here is the discussion running, and it's good to
clear the idea.
1. We must consider all the segment of it (how, what and
why to do). We have to collect the additional ideas that LCD can
enclose and solve, then collect and determine the main types of
connections and their types of properties as it started in the
proposal. And we must determine the final structure of the database,
how it will contain the datas. Parallel to this we (LAD and me) will
update the document (the proposal) and put in the new things to it.
There will be a Version History to keep track what's new and modified.

2. When these above getting to be clear we can start the second
phase, to build up the database itself. At first, two of the three:
the LCD and LCS (see the proposal: 1.2. Notes and Abbreviations).
We have to collect all the possible connectors/connections and their
specific properties. We can handle it with a table in LDraw.org.
Each row will specify one connector.
Each row will include:

- a uniqueID for referencing to it in the document and discussion.
- the name of the connector.
- the datas of the connector (type, variants, properties, etc.)
- the status of the row. It can be at states New/needs Work/OK/Deleted
etc.
- an LDraw part number, as an example for the connector.
- the name of the sender. This may help the discussion, and during the
project we can collect a whole staff list "Who brought any pieces to
the LCD". :)

3. When the connectors are defined in the LCD and LCS we can start to
build up the CDL (see the proposal: 1.2. Notes and Abbreviations).
We can handle it in a table too, but it will be filled out with the
numbers and names of the official parts at the start. We have to
specify where and what type of connectors are found in the parts.

4. Finally we will have a clear specification and the database
according to it. And then we can give this whole work to the
developers hand. And maybe, sometimes they will implement this feature
in their great programs and then our dream becomes true.

Later, when it works, this will be a spot of the part authoring.

So we would like to call everybody for contribution.

--
     ___
    /___\__    Bye:       KACS, The BrickaMocka