 CAD / Development / 6478
6477  |  6479
Subject:
Using LDGLite with Xvfb
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Sun, 14 Oct 2001 13:47:29 GMT

I have experimented a bit with using Xvfb as X server for
LDGLite. It seems to work, but there are some things to be
aware of.

I start Xvfb with the command:

   Xvfb :9 -screen 0 2048x1280x24 -ac

"-ac" means that there is no access control. That's kind of bad,
but I don't worry _that_ much about people painting strange
things on my building instructions. Security conscious people
are welcome to explain me how to get Xvfb and LDGLite to
cooperate when the access control is active.

To make LDGLite use Xvbf, I set the environment variable
"DISPLAY" to point to the running Xvfb X server before I run
LDGLite:

   setenv DISPLAY localhost:9.0
   ldglite -ms -l3 -s2 -w2 model.mpd

The aspect ratio of the "screen" is quite different from
ordinary monitors. When I tried to use taller "screens", the
pictures seemed to be squeezed, so the bricks appeared
flatter/wider than they should. I haven't tried making the
"screen" even wider yet.

Is the aspect ratio problem due to Xvbf or LDGLite? And what
can I do about it?

Play well,

Jacob
--