 CAD / Development / 5350
Re: tubing
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.cad.mlcad
Date:
Tue, 3 Oct 2000 00:46:53 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote...
Ok, for anyone that wants to give this a whirl... I've attached a sample MPD.
It has tubing the length I expect... 14 plates high. It renders fine in MLCad
and in L3Lab (using the versions I posted earlier). Running it through either
L3P or L3Lab to produce a POV file gives the shortened tubing effect.
(snip)

1 14 -70 -129 50 0 0 -1 0 112 0 1 0 0 76.DAT
1 14 70 -129 50 0 0 -1 0 112 0 1 0 0 76.DAT

My "fake" seams seem to be the problem ;-)

As you can see on http://home16.inet.tele.dk/hassing/l3p_sw.html
I scale parts a little bit to make a seam between parts.
("parts" are here DAT files found in the PARTS directory [1])
Normally this works fine, because parts are never scaled, just rotated
and translated. However, you use 76.dat as a primitive by scaling it (by 112)
to the height you want. This scaling also enlarges the seam to become
112*0.5=56! So your tube gets 28 units shorter in each end!

I realize that I cannot assume that parts are never scaled (anyone disagrees?)

So I should probably check the determinant of the line type 1 matrix.
If it is not 1.0, I should adjust the seam width accordingly.

Until the next release of L3P/L3Lab you can
1) add 76.dat to your MPD  (my vote)
2) move 76.dat from PARTS to P
/Lars
[1] I have been thinking about suggesting a property "0 FILETYPE PART"
to enable seams for parts in an MPD...
("0 FILETYPE PRIMITIVE" doesn't seem to have any use for the moment)