 CAD / Development / 5221
Re: Parts license
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Tue, 19 Sep 2000 19:54:06 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.cad.dev, Leonardo Zide writes:

- A person is free to use and redistribute the parts (a small fee may
be charged to cover media costs).

Here's a first stab at a comprehensive contributor/ldraw.org/user license.
Geez, I'm glad IANAL.

BTW, I think the "redistribution" bits should be reworked to clearly
split 'redistributions for the sake of redistributing the library'
from 'redistributions for the sake of including the library in a software
package'.

Anyway, here goes:

Proposed Contributor/ldraw.org/User Agreement for the LCAD Parts Library

Part I. Definitions.

LCAD: LEGO-style CAD.  In reference to the system of construction toys
produced by The LEGO Company.

LIBRARY: the set of DAT files, distributed by ldraw.org, and labeled as
the 'LCAD Parts Library'.

WORK: A DAT file which is used to model LEGO-style elements in the LDraw CAD
system.

CONTRIBUTION: a work which is submitted, by a contributor, to Ldraw.org for
inclusion in the Library.

CONTRIBUTOR: person (or persons) who creates WORKS, and submit them to
ldraw.org for inclusion in the Library.

LDRAW.ORG: the loose organization of people who maintain the www.ldraw.org
internet website, its content pages, and the Library.

USER: Someone who downloads, installs, or uses a copy of the Library.

REDISTRIBUTE: Making the Library available from a source other than an
official ldraw.org source.

REPUBLISHER: A user who redistributes.

Part II.  Ldraw.org Terms.

1. Ldraw.org agrees to publish the Library according to the terms of this
agreement.

2. The library may be published and distributed via media deemed appropriate
by persons involved in ldraw.org.

3. At any time, ldraw.org may permanently cease to publish or distribute the
Library.

4. Ldraw.org may temporarily cease to publish or distribute the Library.  Such
a temporary ceasation does not imply a permanent ceasation.

5. If ldraw.org permanently ceases to publish or distribute the Library, all
licenses to the works contained in the library will be revoked.

6. If ldraw.org permanently ceases to publish or distribute the Library, all
user licenses granted by ldraw.org will remain in effect.

Part III.  Contributor Terms.

1. When a contributor submits a work for the Library, they agree to these
conditions.

2. Ldraw.org may decide to accept or reject any contributions.

3. If a contribution is accepted, the rest of these terms are invoked.

4. If a contribution is rejected, ldraw.org has no further right to that file
or its contents.

5. The contributor retains all intellectual property rights on their work,
except for conditions outlined in this agreement.

6. The contributor grants ldraw.org a non-exclusive, unrevokable license to
the work.

7. Ldraw.org will include the work as part of the Library.

8. At any time, ldraw.org may modify, replace, or remove the contribution,
without notice, based on further contributions or information from the
original contributor or by other contributors.

9. Ldraw.org will publish the Library as a free (insert gnu-reference)
resource, granting users the rights necessary to use and improve the library.

Part IV. User Terms.

1. Downloading or installing the Library denotes acceptance of the terms of
this agreement.

2. Ldraw.org grants users a non-exclusive, unrevokable license to use the
Library for their personal or commercial endevours.

3. There is no fee for a user to license the Library.

4. The user may modify the contents of the Library.

5. The user may redistribute the Library, in a modified or unmodified form.
Such distribution may be stand-alone, or it may be included as part of an LCAD
software package.

6. If the user redistributes the library, a copy of these terms and all
documentation included with the Library, must be included in the
redistribution.

7. No fee may be charged for redistributing the Library, except for a small
charge to cover the cost of redistribution.

8. If the Library is redistributed in an essentially modified form, the user
may not label it as 'LCAD Parts Library'.  The user must identify 'LCAD Parts
Library' as the source of the redistribution.

9. The user may not claim credit for other contributors' works.

10. The republisher of the Library must give a link to www.ldraw.org so that
anyone using the parts or any
derivatives therefrom can still find the original and authoritative sources.

11. If a redistribution allows users direct access to the files contained in
the Library, then the republisher must grant users of the redistributed
Library the same rights granted to in this User Agreement.