 CAD / Development / 10647
Re: Convention for directoried for unofficial parts?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Mon, 9 Jul 2007 19:10:21 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, William Howard wrote:

Would the group prefer environment variables that provide paths for
directories, or known subdirectory names?

Get the best of both worlds and do both.  Check for the environment variable
and if it is blank
(or non-existant) default it to a "known" sub-directory.

That makes sense to me too.

Based on the coincidental informal convention already used by LDView and
Bricksmith, I suggest $LDRAWDIR/Unofficial as the default unofficial parts
directory. It is structured like the regular LDraw directory with parts,
parts/s, p, and p/48 subdirectories.

Using the full path to unofficial parts is a great tip for L3P! I like that
solution. Beats my previous approach of merging and unmerging the official and
unofficial hierarchies with a script.

Jim