 CAD / Development / 10204
Re: Type 5 lines, BFC relevance, and OpenGL
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Mon, 4 Apr 2005 17:33:25 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Mark Tarrabain wrote:
Slower, you say?

Are you executing the functions in immediate mode? Or using a display list?

Because if you're not using a display list, it's no suprise that it's
slower.

I'm using a display list.  The triangles are drawn inside the display list using
"classic" OpenGL calls (glBegin(GL_TRIANGLES)...glEnd()).  The lines are being
drawn inside the display list using vertex arrays.  Using vertex arrays to draw
the triangles resulted in a huge performance hit (3x slow-down vs "classic"
OpenGL calls) due to the use of edge flags in the vertex arrays.

If you are using a display list, however, then I'm at a loss.  I guess
it may not have been that great an idea.  This is still good to know.

I'm pretty surprised with the result myself.  I think that a really fast video
card would produce different results.  On a 6800 Ultra, I suspect that the new
routine would run significantly faster than the CPU-based routine.  However, you
do have to realize that the new routine does two things that would normally be
considered bad:  it draws a whole bunch more geometry, and it uses an OpenGL
feature that probably hasn't ever been used in a video game (edge flags).

Despite the results, I still think it was a great idea.  It's my belief that as
things progress, the video card/CPU performance gap will widen sufficiently for
this to produce noticeably superior performance to the CPU-based way.

On a related note, if anyone out there would be willing to try my modification
on a top-of-the-line (or nearly so) video card, let me know, and I'll send you a
test version of LDView.

Thanks for the feedback

You're welcome.  And thanks for the idea; I really do think the concept is
sound.

--Travis Cobbs