 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / Primitives / 422
Re: Suggested New Primitive: 4-4cyl12.dat (was: More cylinder primitives wanted)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts.primitives
Date:
Tue, 16 May 2006 12:33:56 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts.primitives, Tore Eriksson wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dat.parts.primitives, Steve Bliss wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dat.parts.primitives, Tore Eriksson wrote:
If more folks like this idea, how should we name the new primitives?

How about N-4cyla.dat, N-4cylb.dat, etc?

I thought of that, but liked the idea of more descriptive names, like the
rect*.dat series. The '1' would in this case stand for number of discs, and '2'
for number of edges. But I could definifly live with cyla, cylb etc too.

Since we've already got primitives like '5-24cyli.dat', I think it would be a
good idea to restrict the suffix of the file name to 4 characters.  I wouldn't
want to start right out making specialized cylinders-with-edges for every single
variation of N-Ncyli.dat, but we might need one sometime.

That's my second highest request. I haven't even thought of adding ndiscs,
because you might want rings just as often. But a disc or maybe two can be very
useful.

Of course, the problem with adding rings is we'd need a separate primitive for
each size of ring.  We'd only need one (size) cylinder-with-ndisc.  So I don't
see a lot of utility in cylinder+ring primitives.

But I'd hate to have to deal with people doing things like combining a
cylinder+ndisc matched to a cylinder+disc, to make a single cylinder with a disc
on one end, and an ndisc on the other end.

Steve