 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / Primitives / 147
Re: Torus primitive discussion.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts.primitives
Date:
Sat, 24 Feb 2001 05:34:01 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts.primitives, Steve Bliss writes:
In lugnet.cad.dat.parts.primitives, Paul Easter wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dat.parts.primitives, Steve Bliss writes:

How about using:

TNNXFFFF.dat

2. Dedicating the one free filename digit/character to one of the numeric
parameters will also provide more filename consistency and sorting.  And
giving this the major-circle denominator is more important than having a
fifth position in the tube:major-radius fraction.

Sorry, can't seem to follow this statement.

OK, let me try to explain.  Lars had suggested:

Something like "NtiFFFF.dat" for
"1/N Torus Tube  Inner  Major Radius 1  Tube Radius 0.FFFF"

Which uses 7 characters in the filename, out of the 8 allowed.  I just
dedicated the 8th character to N, so we had NN instead.

This gives us a fixed-format for the filename, no matter what the value of
NN is.  Fixed-formats sort better.

OK, Got it!  Sounds good to me.
So we are going to use;
tNNxFFFF.dat
t=Torus
NN=sweep of torus, 01=1/1, 02=1/2, 04=1/4, 08=1/8, 16=1/16, 48=1/48?
x=i:Inner  or  o:Outer
FFFF=Tube Radius Ex. 1/3=3333

I have already changed my spreadsheets and torus files over to use this
format.  It's not too hard to change them again, if needed.

Which values of N do you expect? 16? - since you only got 4 F's?

I'd expect probably 04, 08, and 16.  If we start getting hi-res versions of
torii, we might see higher values (smaller sweeps).  With two decimal
digits, we can get down to a 3.6-degree sweep (that'd be 1/99).

I agree, but not sure about the 3.6 degree version, that's a bit extreme.

Yeah 1/99 is extreme, that's kinda my point.  We have more than enough
range in our possible numeric values.

Good, I was hoping that was what you were up to.

About coding the t:m ratio in base-36, Paul reacted:

oh no! too complex for the mainstream dat authors.

True.  We'd have to publish a table of values.

But I think four base-10 decimal digits is probably good enough.

Steve

Sounds great! Let's do it!..... Any other suggestions?

I am in the process of updating part files that use the torii to the new
name format. Do I need to send the parts to partsref@home.net? Or do I need
to hold on to them until something is decided on the next update?

Do I need to remove the POV coding, or leave it in until the next L3P update?

Paul

Ah.... to POV or not to POV...