 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 6208
Re: Preparing a L(EGO)Draw part for the Parts Tracker – A review
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Thu, 4 Oct 2007 14:40:29 GMT

Thanks, Willy, for this very informative article... I discovered many things
(among them, Syncedit that looks VERY interesting - how did I miss its
announcement???).

In lugnet.cad, Willy Tschager wrote:
When the Lego Universe Team has started to share rough data of 80 parts
http://www.ldraw.org/Article489.html and soon after I've got feedback from part
authors that because of their excellent quality those parts were heavyweights
and would give us a hard time reducing the file size I was curious to what
extend I could strip them down. After approx. 10 working hours my part was cut
by 92%.
Here you had a favorable situation with mostly flat surfaces. Similarly I
reduced the size of 59349 by 96%... It is much more difficult for parts such as
47844 (http://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptdetail.cgi?f=parts/47844.dat) with high
resolution curved surface.

We know that the source for the L(EGO)Draw parts are the original shapes,
created for the molding machines – in short they are the REFERENCE.

Are they really? Case in point, 55615 part. Check this image, showing rendering
of LEGO Universe Project file and a photo of the real part
(http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Philo/Misc/55615.jpg). See the differences in
center pinhole collars and orientation of pins...

Thx to Philo and Mike the part needs only a review by the
PT-Admins to be shipped.

You're welcome ;o)

Philo