 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 6096

Re: Part Authors: opinions sought on T-Junctions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Mon, 5 Mar 2007 14:57:01 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Travis Cobbs wrote:
   Also, it’s kind of obvious that you and I would be biased on this issue. When people complain that LDView or ldglite aren’t working right, all we can do right now is say, “Too bad. There’s nothing I can do to fix it.” If there were an official policy saying that T-junctions are bad, we could say, “The part needs to be updated.”

T-junctions are a quality issue in part files. I don’t think they should be strictly forbidden (that is, having T-junctions is not a reason to hold a part file from official release). Generally, I wouldn’t even say that a part with T-junctions needs a “(Needs Work)” tag. But I will encourage part authors to avoid T-junctions. It is worth having a few more polygons to avoid the rendering artifacts.

Sometimes, T-junctions can be avoided without any extra polygons -- it’s a matter of knowing better ways to lay out polygons to cover a surface.

Steve

Re: Part Authors: opinions sought on T-Junctions