 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 6089
6088  |  6090
Subject:
Naming of Parts (esp. Wheels & Tires)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Sun, 4 Mar 2007 19:21:08 GMT

Hi,

Perhaps it is just me, but I am often confused when trying to find matching
parts.

For example, there is a wheel center 50944 or 42610, which is named 11 x 6 mm.
In fact it is 11.2 x 6.4 mm which also more fits to LEGO dimensions.
That is not the real problem, there are two types of tires for that part.
A Slick one 50945, named Tyre 11 x 6 mm (which is the inner dimension, or the
dimension of the matching wheel center). The other tyre, 51011, is named Tyre
17.5 x 6 mm with shallow staggered treads. So this is measured outer
dimensions.
Why not agree on one rule, eg giving inner diameter, which then would also imply
better finding the appropriate wheel center (or vice versa).
Lego tires with imprinted dimensions are based on Wheel hub sizes in mm also,
another reason to stick to this rule for parts not having dimensions on the
part.

Most I would like to consolidate BrickLink and LDRAW naming (and numbering) for
parts, but I think this is unreasonable...

Lutz