 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 4401
Re: Problems with new part and S\3069BS01.DAT
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Fri, 3 Jan 2003 22:29:24 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Orion Pobursky writes:
In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Karl Asha writes:
In my problem description I didn't mention that I had actually included the
part in an mlcad model, so effectively it was created as a Type 1 line. The
solution to the problem though seems to have been removing the part from the
ldraw models directory and moving it into the parts directory. Is it correct
to assume that l3p will not shrink full 'models' that it finds in that
directory, or something similar?

Hmmm...  Lars will have to give conformation of this but I think L3P was
handling your part as a submodel. That would explain why the tile subpart
was shrunk when it was in any other directory but the parts directory

Confirmed! Well spotted.

   Any non-scaling reference to a part is shrunk,
   except if the reference is from a part.

A part is currently defined as a file located in PARTS.
"s\3069bs01.dat" (as a path) is located in PARTS.

When the new part was in MODELS, it was not considered as a part.
and its reference to s\3069bs01.dat was shrunk.
When the new part was in PARTS, it was considered as a part,
and its reference to s\3069bs01.dat was not shrunk.

If you had tried to render the new part directly (and not referenced from a model)
its reference to s\3069bs01.dat would have been shrunk,
even if the new parts was in PARTS.
This is because it is specified as the model to L3P, and L3P fails to
see that the model (the new part) is actually located in PARTS.

L3P currently does not recognize "0 Unofficial Part", only files from the PARTS folder
are considered parts. But I'm likely to change that!

Steve, what became of the update to http://www.ldraw.org/reference/specs/fileformat
you posted in http://news.lugnet.com/cad/dev/?n=7283

When I get the handling of "file type" implemented, L3P should be able
to recognize a part in e.g. MODELS or specified as the model,
if you remember to add e.g. "0 Unofficial Part" to your new part.

Good further reading in "Seams like a problem":
http://news.lugnet.com/cad/dev/?n=5395&t=i&v=a
and in http://news.lugnet.com/cad/ray/?n=825
/Lars