 CAD / 9849
Re: Lego XML?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Wed, 30 Apr 2003 14:05:42 GMT

Hi:

  Let me add my two cents: As I hope you ALL know :-), I'm working with a
student of mine in a new verison of LeoCAD called LeoCAM, which main feature
is the ability to connect parts by their connectors (like axles, axle-holes,
stud,stud-inles). Some time ago we released an alpha version for the
comunity to try which only supported the stud-studInlet interaction. In
order to do this, we used an XML-based file format, that, for EACH .ldr
part, would have an .lci file (Leco Connectors Information). Thus, for part
3002.dat, there is an XML file 3002.lci that specifies the locations, type
and some characteristics of the connectors for each part. Then, LeoCAM used
this information for the connection process. As the file format is
XML-based, we build the respective DTD and a Schema documentation. The
original format only had the information about stud-studInlets, but the
future version will be released with the complte documentation.
  So, I wanted to say that having an XML based file format is a good idea,
but we allways can survive with the original ldr file format plus XML-based
files for the extensions, as we did.
  Anyway, the DTD and Schemas for this "connectors information" will be
available with the new release of LeoCAM.

Publicitary Add: We'll release LeoCAM Beta, the newest version, probably on
next monday! It will include studs, stud inlets, axles, axle holes and
cylindrical holes as usable connector. I bet you'll get amazed about what
Fran (my student) achieved with the possibilities the connectors brought!!!
I AM myself astonished!! :-)

  I hope this is interesting for the topic.

  yours

Gustavo.-