 CAD / 6809
Re: The Lego Beretta just won't die
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Tue, 27 Nov 2001 23:17:47 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Jeff Boen writes:
Anyway... just wanted to share that I've managed to exposed 10's of thousands
of people to the AFOL community in the last two weeks. Tons of them have said
"I'm going to dig my Lego out of my parent's attic!". That makes me feel good.

wow.  I am stunned.

Its really cool that so many people seemed interested in your gun design,
but I don't know what to say without sounding negative.  I don't want to
seem rude because it isn't a *bad* design, and I'm not against firearms at
all, but why are people going nuts? (if your claims are to be believed, and
they *are* backed up by others, I guess they are)

Five or six things a week get posted to Lugnet or Brickshelf that are leaps
and bounds more sophisticated than this design, and the only thing I can
tell that is causing the stir is that your design is a gun and gun-nuts dig
it for being "hip and strange" or something.  Part of the stir might come
from a misleading bit I saw that read "... actual working Beretta made from
Lego..."  Now it was probably referring to your working locking and firing
mechanism (which is pretty well done), but non-Lego people probably see your
gun and think that if they build one, it will actually fire or something...

oh well, PT Barnum was right.  I hope I don't sound negative, I'm actually
not... I am just *stunned* that so many people are interested in a gun MOC.

Kudos for you anyway!  Its always nice to see Lego get positive attention,
no matter the circumstances.

cheers!
J "..." K