 CAD / 5013
Re: Renderers that poll for changes?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Sun, 26 Nov 2000 17:17:24 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Tore Eriksson writes:
As I am trying to learn some Delphi, I thought that creating a program
like Anders Isaksson's LDS Shell would be nice to practice. Not that
there is anything wrong with LDS Shell, but I have to start somewhere. I
am calling my project "LDS Launcher" and so far, I've made a first
working beta-version. Of course, I am not able to insert a renderer in
it, and the editor (TMemo) is as simple as Notepad.

Besides my limited programming skills, I think it's better to use one
(ore more) external viewer(s) instead of making a built-in. But a
nescessary feature is that the renderer polls for changes in the .DAT
file. As I am on holiday at my parents and my 486 only has Win 3.1 (and
Delphi v 1) , I want to know what viewers poll for changes. And among
those, what viewers are capable of making quiet poll?

Good luck finding a polling viewer that works in Win 3.1!  In occasional
moments of insanity I've considered building a version of ldglite for
DOS with the djgpp compiler and Scitech MGL, but then I come to my senses
and remember that LDRAW and LEDIT already work quite well in DOS.
I don't think LDRAW will do the quiet polling in Win 3.1 that you want
though.

Why not upgrade the 486 to Win95?  I use it on my ancient 486 laptop and
it works pretty well.