 CAD / 17884
Re: 3D printers
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Mon, 27 Feb 2012 21:48:49 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Jeffrey Findley wrote:
I was curious if anyone here has had experience using 3D printers to print Lego
compatible pieces.  Through an email list, I stumbled across this product:

http://www.up3dusa.com/about-the-up#!__about-the-up

I thought others here might be interested since it uses ABS as the printing
material and because it should be relatively easy to take just about any Lego
CAD model and export it in STL format to send to this machine for printing.

I don't think there's any 3D printing technology available that hits the
tolerances needed for functional Lego compatible pieces (I think Lego pieces are
manufactured to ±.0006")

The resolution on filament fed printers (fused deposition modeling or FDM), like
the UP, MakerBot, RepRAP, or 3D Systems Dimension, is much too coarse for fine
details.  FDM is better suited for hand-sized objects or bigger.  At LEGO
scales, the filament size gets close to the wall thickness of the parts, so
details and structural integrity suffer.

ultraHD SLA would be a better bet, but the parts would still be quite a bit more
brittle than Lego, and the fit would still be tough to get right.

--Bram