 CAD / 17248
Re: LDraw colour for metallic silver
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Tue, 29 Jun 2010 06:57:40 GMT

In lugnet.cad, David Laswell wrote:
Chrome silver - Parts that are actually coated with a thin layer of aluminum,
and have a polished mirror-like surface.  Should be very difficult to mix up
with anything else, as you can actually see your reflection in their surface.

This never had an official LEGO color code, since it was a coating on top of
color 2 (gray).

Pearl silver - Used primarily in the TECHNIC/BIONICLE lines, this is a silver
pigment suspended in a semi-translucent plastic.  Flow lines are very clearly
visible as dark swirls that reflect the light differently, and there should be a
very faint sparkle visible in them.

I think this is 131 Silver

Painted silver - These are the parts that look like they've been painted, but
not chromed.  Specifically, this has been used only recently on parts like the
3x3 radar dish, the 1x1 round plate, the 1x2 grille tile, and the IG-88 minifig.
The gold version of this has been used on minifig visors (Mars Mission and
Agents), plus Gold-Tooth's hair.  It has a very uniform (but unpolished) look,
with no visible flow lines, and if scratched it is very clear that the plastic
is a different color underneath.  Lightsaber hilts that are neither true chrome
or light-bley are probably this color, as I (oddly) can't recall seeing one that
was actually formed with a silver-pigmented plastic.

This is 298 Cool Silver, Drum Lacq  (Drum lacquered)

Silvertone - This _might_ be the same as Pearl silver, but I don't think it uses
the same mix of plastic and pigment.  It's less metallic looking than the Pearl
silver, but there are still visible flow lines.  It _almost_ looks like
light-bley, but it's just a tiny bit darker with a faint metallic sheen.  Mostly
I've seen this used on medieval arms and armor,

I think this is 296 Cool Silver

Antique pearl silver - This is an odd one, as it's exclusive to a single run of
parts.  The second wave of BIONICLE mask packs each had one silver and one gold
Kanohi packed in them.  Both of these were made in a pearlized plastic, but both
have a very distinct greenish tint to them that I've never once seen used before
or since.  It's not enough to make them look green, but it is enough to make it
clear that they aren't the same color as any other silver-colored LEGO parts.
(These aren't the only colors to have seen exclusive releases in the BIONICLE
line, as there are also blacklight-flourescent shades of trans-yellow and
trans-red that I've never seen used outside of one or two of the very first wave
of BIONICLE parts).

I believe this is 179 Flip/Flop Silver

There was also 301 Metalized Silver (but I think only Clickits sets used this)
and 304 Cool Silver, Diffuse (silver sprayed over black).

Gun Metallic, Metallic Light Grey and Metallic Dark Grey all look kinda silver
(rather rare colors, though)

While discussing the subject with a TLG employee, I learned that they've gone to
great lengths over the years (shyeah, obviously) to try to get "Silver right."
Apparently, it's been quite the struggle. :)

    -- joshua