 CAD / 16511
16510  |  16512
Subject:
Filling closed shapes?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Tue, 13 Oct 2009 09:29:08 GMT

Hi all - I’ve been working on the life counter part, which is a patterned version of the sprocket wheel. I then managed to make the flat pattern and did a projection of the pattern on the 3d former, only to find this 3d pattern contain numerous gaps and rougly 80 warped quads,- even worse, when I split these warped quads there then were TONS of new tiny gaps, making the part look horrible. Not to mention I made the pattern too small. :-(

My problem probably was that I had made the fills in the pattern by making a plane quad covering the shape (made of lines), making a cutter file from the line shape and using Intersector on the quad, which isn’t the best way to go but it was the only one I saw. I was aware of the gaps, thinking that they were too small to really hinder the part’s quality. Additionally I used a non-triangle-condensing cut when gaps showed up and scaling factor didn’t work...

So, now I plan to remake the pattern. And this time the right way. But first I’d need a proper technique to make the fill for the line shape. Anybody aware of something... ? Quad2Dat is out of the question because the background image feature doesn’t work at all here.