 CAD / 15256
Re: Dome Creator
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.build.arch
Date:
Wed, 28 May 2008 16:04:39 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Arthur Gugick wrote:
   I’ve seen a number of sphere generators but many of the domes I need to build are not spherical. After working, reworking, and re-reworking a few domes I decided it was time to computerize the process so I wrote a program called Dome Creator.

So far: Dome Creator will help build domes that are spherical, elliptical, conical, or have planar sides (like a pyramid). The base of the dome can be a circle, an ellipse, or any polygon. The program does not show step by step instructions but a blueprint for the height (measured in plates) at each location.

Stuff I hope to add: Eventually you will be able to scan in a photo of the dome you wish to build and have the program model the dome. Eventually you will be able to print out layer by layer diagrams.

Limitations: It’s written in Visual Basic. I’m not sure if VB is still used?

Anyone want to help re-code the program in something more modern?

Any other ideas in incorporate?

Photos of some domes http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=320799

Arthur

This looks very useful. Do you have a problem with VB? I think it is a wonderful and powerful language. I am coding with VB since version 1.0 and it is getting better and better. For most application VB is a very good language. For me the result counts and with VB you get very quick a result. See for Example DATHeader - written with VB5 or LETGUI written with VBExpress2005. So I think VB is not bad, but not good for all purposes. If you need any assistance please contact me.

cu mikeheide