 CAD / 14607
14606  |  14608
Subject:
Bavarian S3/6 steam engine in odd color livre
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.cad
Date:
Tue, 12 Jun 2007 19:36:45 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

Hi to all Lugnet train fans!

Today I want to present an engine I have finished to build two weeks ago. Since then I hadn’t found the time to present it here. Since the Brickshelf Gallery has already collected 5000+ klicks within 2 weeks, I assume a lot of Lugnetters are already familiar with this engine:

(click to enlarge)

This “Pacific type” engine is built after the Bavarian S3/6 high speed engine (later renamed to “Baureihe 18” (BR18) in the “Deutsche Reichsbahn”). This engine pulled for example the famous German luxxury train “Rheingold Express” and other express trains.

The real engine has a 4-cylinder system included and as an early try of streamline designe it had an arrowed drivers cab, which I tried to catch in the LEGO® design.

Some facts on this LEGO design:
  • building time: roughly estimated 40+ hours and 10+ hours for ML-CAD model.
  • built with BBB-wheels: 6 drivers (no blinds) 4 small ones
  • fully able to negotiate all none-straight LEGO track. (by spring loaded center driver wheels) and floating pony truck under 9-wide cylinder section)
  • working connecting and piston rods (made from Technic “Flex System”)
  • one pair of wheels from “FALLER Hittrain®”
  • yellow LEGO rubber bands as boiler decoration
  • one 70ies turntable has been disassembled to use its base at boiler tip
  • several 3mm LEGO plastic tubes got cut to fitting length
  • no motor included, but might be added in a modified tender (see BR50).
  • this engine has been given away as birthday present to my father in law.
Important credits:
  • Exhaustive discussions with Anthony Sava on how to bring Pacific engines through curves. (Anthony used blinds, while I myself wanted to do this without them, but discussing this topic has helped a lot). The inspiration by Anthony Sava was enough to bring me back to the bricks after quite a while. I can’t thank him enough for all the e-mails and his often very colorful steam engines. This convinced me to try a colorful engine at last.

  • Brickshelf user “UR” has done a beautiful BR18 (version with standard cab)

  • Jason Railton demonstrated me that the two spring loaded wheels need no own synchronisation among each other. Jason invented the spring loaded design indepently from me and we wondered to came up with the nearly identical solution at LEGOWORLD 2005.

  • Tim Gould sent me an improved design for the 3x3 dish part, which renders very smooth.

  • a report at “BAHN TV” showed how a S3/6 has been moved from the “Deutsches Museum” through the city center of Munich into a new home.

  • a “crazy” Japaneese design of a BR18 with all 4 cylinders oszillating!

  • This engine of mine uses BBB wheels. Huge thanks to Ben Fleskes for the support with wheels at discount price during Brickfest PDX 2007 and for supporting the community with these parts in general - they are great!!
Buy them at:

www.bigbenbricks.com/

and

www.1000steine.de (distribution for German speaking countries).

More pictures and the ML-CAD MPD-file can be downloaded here for private use.

Hope you enjoy + Leg Godt!

See more pictures of my models at www.brickshelf.com