 CAD / 14366
14365  |  14367
Subject:
Accountability of "Key Positions": Call for Public Discussion and Consensus
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, lugnet.announce
Date:
Sun, 18 Feb 2007 17:15:11 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

Hi folks,

We know that you would prefer reading about new parts updates announcements
instead of politics and bureaucratics, but unfortunately those things also have
to be done and decided on in order to ensure the smooth running of LDraw.org.

As you know we have two elected bodies, the Steering Committee (SteerCo) as the
overall governing structure and the LDraw Standards Committee (LSC) as the
technical standards board charged with discussing, ratifying, and publishing
LDraw.org file format specifications. Beside those two groups LDraw is run by
other boards like the Content Management, the Helpdesk, the System
Administration and last but certainly not least the Parts Tracker
Administration. Since they each require specific skills and knowledge and also
because they existed long before LDraw was turned into a democratic organization
the volunteers occupying those positions never underwent an election and it has
been tradition that outgoing members pass over the sceptre of their little
kingdom to someone they thought could fill their boots.

The SteerCo has been questioned about the accountability of the „chairs“ at
LDraw. Are they appointed, elected, etc.? Are those positions sandboxes to play
with „until I‘m bored with it?; a job for life“, or is the site the community‘s
window to the world? If these volunteers, the PT admins or the helpdesker do a
bad job, is there a way for the community to „fire“ them? A highly delicate
issue as you can imagine.

We would like to take the time to say that these queries were not in anyway
directed at any members currently or previously in any of these roles. Likewise
the SteerCo action was not directed at any individuals. The issue at hand has
more to do with unlikely future scenarios but is, like many of these things,
more easily dealt with before a problem occurs than after it has happened.

LDraw‘s Bylaws are quite vague on this topic. The article „About the
Organisation“:

http://www.ldraw.org/article/283

says that „focused committees work underneath the Steering Committee as
caretakers of the organization‘s resources“ while the „Policies and Procedures“:

http://www.ldraw.org/article/281

in section 4.01 just rules on representational matters. The SteerCo therefore
sat down and worked out some new guidelines. We think we have identified the
ideal place for the accountability of – we called them „key positions“ - and
worded a motion to the current Bylaws:

http://www.ldraw.org/article/268

As per Article 8 (Amendments) of the Bylaws alterations can only be made by „an
affirmative vote of at least two-thirds of the entire Active Membership“ so we
must (and should) put this motion out to a general vote.

------------ Beginning of motion ----------------

Section 6.08: Appointed Key Positions
Key positions such as Parts Tracker Administrators, Content Managers, Help Desk
or System Administrators are appointed by the Steering Committee from among the
individual Members of LDraw.org. Appointments must be approved by 3 of the 5
members of the Steering Committee. Paying tribute to the fact that LDraw.org is
a completely volunteer organization common courtesy is extended as a general
rule and except for extenuating circumstances the Steering Committee shall get
agreement from the active Key Positions about appointments of new ones. The
Steering Committee might delegate the appointment to the active key positions.
It will also function as intermediary if members volunteer for a Key Position.
There shall be at least three (3) appointed Key Positions for the most sensitive
area: The LDraw Parts Tracker.

Section 6.09: Removal of Key Positions
Key Positions are accountable to the Steering Committee and might be removed if
someone fails to fulfill his or her duties. The Steering Committee has the
obligation to report to the active Membership the circumstances for the
decision.

Section 6.10: Vacancy and Succession of Key Positions
If any of the Key Positions cannot fulfill his or her duties, resigns, or is
otherwise unable to fulfill then a replacement shall be appointed by the
Steering Committee. The Steering Committee shall consult the outgoing post about
a succession. Consulting does not apply to Key Position removed by the Steering
Committee. The Key Positions might appoint a succession in full autonomy in the
situation that the Steering Committee takes no action.

------------ End of motion ----------------

Note: The current section 6.08 „Reimbursement of Members“ will be renumbered to
6.11.

All the current holders of key positions have already read the above motion and
agreed to it. We thus call for a final community discussion. If you share a
concern about the future of LDraw.org, please take the time to read through the
„Bylaws of the LDraw Organization“ in light of this motion and share your
feedback. When giving feedback, please be sure to present alternative draft text
for sections you would like to modify. Please DO NOT simply say „I don‘t like
that, take it out.“

Once discussion of this motion (and its subsequent versions) has died down, and
once general consensus among the public is achieved, the document will undergo a
similar ratification process as the „Motion to move the LSC elections“ did in
October.

Willy Tschager
On behalf of the LDraw.org Steering Committee