 CAD / 11074
Re: Automatic unofficial part detection?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Mon, 9 Feb 2004 09:08:51 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Allister McLaren wrote:
In lugnet.cad, Larry Pieniazek wrote:

Would that then imply that while you were tinkering with an existing part, you'd
have to remove that line when first uploading to the Parts Tracker, and it would
get added back in as it got released into an update?

Or am I misunderstanding this and it would only be for NEW parts, since any
revised part undergoing revision has an official part out there somewhere,
however obsolete?

If so that simplifys things I guess. What about part renumbers though?

One way to solve both these problems would be to include a comment line for each
revision in the header.

Eg. 0 Revision: Part renumbered from 1234.dat Date: 1.2.2004. Author: John
Citizen

When it becomes an official update simply swap out 'Revision' for 'Official
Update' or whatever. Each revision gets added to the top of the header so as you
scroll down you see the full revision history of the part.

Too Cumbersome?

Just my thoughts based on years of working with and revising CAD
models/drawings.*

Allister

*for whatever it's worth, it's seems every company I've ever worked for has
decided it's necessary to reinvent the revision procedure, and none of them are
flawless.

We have an unofficial convention for change history in the headers, but that is
not necessary to keep track of versions - and can get a little unwieldy.

Since the advent of the Parts Tracker (for update 2001-01), new or amended
official parts automatically have, in the header
0 LDRAW_ORG Part UPDATE YYYY-RR
where YYYY is the year and RR the parts release sequence within that year, eg
2004-01, which will be the next.

If a part does not have a line like this it is from before 2001-01, and would
get a line like this if it were ever updated.

Chris