 Books / 412
Re: Brick Testament: Story of Christmas in Publishers Weekly and Money magazine
Newsgroups:
lugnet.books
Date:
Tue, 23 Nov 2004 13:48:14 GMT

In lugnet.mediawatch, Brendan Powell Smith wrote:
   Publishers Weekly has reviewed The Brick Testament: The Story of Christmas. The write-up can be seen on their website, but in case you don’t have a subscription to that site, I’ve put a copy of the review on The Brick Testament’s press page here.

The December 2004 issue of Money magazine also recommends Story of Christmas in their annual Gift Guide. A scan of that article is also available here.

Odd how Money puts you in their children’s category, and Publishers Weekly specifically warns against giving this book to children.

Makes me think of the odd place that AFOL’s work holds - on one side it LEGO bricks, therefore a toy, and therefore children should be primarily interested in it. On the other, it is made by adults, often for adults with adult material(1) - it is generally not made for kids and has jokes and references they won’t get. No real comment to make, just that it is odd.

Anyways, glad to hear that yer book is getting out there and that it is doing well! I’m gonna be grabbing a few for gifts and whatnot(2).

-Lenny

(1)= Adult material does not necessarily mean cursing or nudity, but just things of a more mature/serious nature that kids don’t really enjoy or ‘get.’

(2)= by “Whatnot” I mean stripping down until I’m buttass naked, getting a big jar of honey, some chickpees, turning on my DVD of “Bram Stoker’s Dracula” and reading yer book.