 Books / 359
358  |  360
Subject:
Getting Started with LEGO Trains
Newsgroups:
lugnet.books, lugnet.trains, lugnet.trains.org, lugnet.announce
Date:
Fri, 5 Mar 2004 16:05:14 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

The book is finally here! I saw today that you could order the book from Amazon,
which means most other sources should have it now or VERY soon.

If you've already read the book, please post a review on Amazon if you are so
inclined.

Oh, and if you are still considering buying, there are links at the bottom of
the press release for the sample pages.

Thanks!

===

For Immediate Release
Contact: Leigh Sacks, No Starch Press (nostarchpr@oreilly.com or
leigh@nostarch.com, 415-863-9900)

GETTING STARTED WITH LEGO TRAINS
Inspirational Ideas and Instructions in Full Color

San Francisco, CA - Building and running model trains has been a popular hobby
for decades. From small oval tracks running a simple locomotive to tracks that
take over entire basements, model train enthusiasts come in all types. A subset
of model train enthusiasts use an alternative medium for their creations;
instead of building trains out of model wood and plastic, LEGO(r) train builders
create their locomotives and rail cars out of LEGO bricks, using official LEGO
train sets or a collection of their own bricks.

Until now LEGO trains builders have exchanged ideas for models and connected
with each other through an active online community and user group network. Now
well-known LEGO trains community member and LEGO employee Jacob H. McKee has
written the first book dedicated to LEGO
trains: "Getting Started with LEGO Trains" (No Starch Press, $14.95 US, 4
color). Sure to be an essential reference for experienced LEGO train builders,
"Getting Started with LEGO Trains" is also for LEGO train novices who want to
get started with this creative hobby.

"Getting Started with LEGO Trains" begins with the fundamentals of LEGO
trains: setting up the track and electrical components. It then proceeds to
detail three projects - a GP-38 Locomotive, an old-style refrigerator car, and
an intermodal container car - complete with full-color, professional-quality
instructions. These projects can be built by following the color instructions,
just as models are built from the kits that LEGO sells. Each project chapter
also teaches the essential elements of locomotive and rail car construction as
McKee explains how each project was conceived and brought to life.

More than just a how-to guide, McKee takes readers to the world of advanced LEGO
building and the culture of model railroading. Sometimes the lingo takes a wacky
turn: How could a model be built with SNOT? Connect the LEGO bricks in
unorthodox ways to have Studs Not On Top, or SNOT, perfect for advanced
constructions. And what about the chapter on refeer? That's the refrigerated
rail car model, the type of train car called a refeer by model builders and
train buffs in the know.

Interviews with expert builders and a section on advanced track layouts are sure
to inspire the master builder and budding train enthusiast alike. With "Getting
Started with LEGO Trains," newbies and old pros all have something in common - a
great book to help them grow with their hobby. As McKee explains, "LEGO Trains
are the 'hub of the spoke,' so to speak. LEGO Trains are what bond a LEGO
universe together. Once you set up your first starter train set, you want more
track. More track leads to more train cars. More cars leads to city. City leads
to airports. Then space, then..."

All aboard!

GETTING STARTED WITH LEGO TRAINS
by Jacob H. McKee
1-59327-006-2, February 2004, $14.95 US ($21.95 Cdn), 120 pp., ages 12 and up
Available at fine bookstores everywhere To order from the publisher: visit
www.nostarch.com, email orders@nostarch.com, or call 800-420-7240

ADDITIONAL RESOURCES
The author's site: www.bricksonthebrain.com/trains
LEGO Users Group Network: http://www.lugnet.com/
Official LEGO Trains website: http://www.lego.com/trains International LEGO
Train Club Organization: www.iltco.org Book table of contents:
http://nostarch.com/frameset.php?startat=legotrains_toc
High res sample from the book (3.5 MB):
http://www.nostarch.com/legotrains_ch5_highres.pdf
Low res sample (239 KB): http://www.nostarch.com/legotrains_ch5_lowres.pdf
Big cover image: http://nostarch.com/frameset.php?startat=legotrains_big

ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Jacob H. McKee has been building LEGO creations since he was a young boy. He is
now a well-known figure in the LEGO trains community and the LEGO Community
Development Manager for North America. Jacob has worked on more than 400
websites and countless community projects, including the official LEGO Trains
website (www.lego.com/trains).

ABOUT NO STARCH PRESS
Since 1994, No Starch Press has published unique books on computing, with a
focus on Open Source, security, hacking, web development, programming, gaming,
and alternative operating systems. Our titles have personality, our authors are
passionate, and our goal is to make computing accessible to everyone.

For more information, or to request a review copy or schedule an interview,
contact Leigh Sacks (nostarchpr@oreilly.com or leigh@nostarch.com, 415-863-9900)

====
Jake McKee
Webmaster - BIP