 Aquazone / 954
Re: New Lego Aqua raiders, Sealab 2021
Newsgroups:
lugnet.aquazone, lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Fri, 17 Nov 2006 10:44:19 GMT

In lugnet.announce, Avery Christy wrote:
   I guess everyone is starting to get an eyefull of the new Aqua raiders theme,

Check it here

Well, from the very first moment I saw these sets, yes, at Eurobricks. I thought about building Sealab 2021 moc’s. I won’t post a link here on lugnet to any Sealab 2021 sites as it is an adult cartoon. But, I am a fan and I saw the potential here.

Anyway, I got the idea when I posted this to start building an aquatic version of the moon base thing they got going on over at classic space. After all, the Sealab 2021 cartoon has many pods all joined together, like a huge underwater lab, and so it would allow for many builders to join in and build some neat, and sometimes comical, underwater pods that can all join together via a universal tunnel connector as inspired by the #7775 set “Aquabase Invasion.”

My question is, is there much interest from other builders about this idea I just posed about building interconnecting underwater labs? If so, then those interested could kick the idea around and come up with many other related ideas and figure out the details that I am too lazy right now to get into.

Sorry if I have posted this in the wrong newsgroup and offend anyone.

-Avery

Just going to link you to these pictures. I tried to do some moonbase but 48x48 is far too big. Not just to store and transport, but when you pick one up the baseplate bends and separates from the model.

This was a 16x16 unit with connecting hex-corridors. 32x32 would give you more scope for building, but if you were to use 32x32 you’d have to decide if you wanted that to include connecting corridors, or if you’d have the modules further spaced out with corridors in-between. But then you’d have gaps in the base of your display.

If you used a mixture of 32x32 and 16x16, you could have units that can either meet face-to-face or can be linked by 16-stud (or 32-stud) corridors.

The other thing wrong with moonbase is the height of the connections. The original standard was OK-ish (and you can still get very low trains under them with minfigs sat upright) but the higher US standard is worse. Again, propping up the height of units makes them either very bulky or unstable to transport.

Jason R