 Announcements / MOCPages™ / 15
14  |  16
Subject:
MOCpages upgrade today
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce.mocpages
Date:
Thu, 15 Sep 2005 18:32:54 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

Hi, everybody...

Well, I have some good news... MOCpages is finally getting a hardware upgrade!

Yesterday, as I’m sure many of you noticed, MOCpages was shut down (again) by our service provider, PAIR networks, because of the heavy use. The kind folks at PAIR have been very understanding for over a year now, but they had to draw the line. Yesterday, they mandated that MOCpages run on a dedicated server, or they wouldn’t turn the web site back on.

I can’t say I approve of the tactics, but the good news is that the new hosting plan isn’t much more expensive than the old one... and MOCpages won’t ever be plagued by the irritating out-of-my-control downtimes that would happen every now & then. (And that caused the immense outage this summer.) :(

This new server should handle the load for the time being, and the site may even run faster as well. As an added bonus, it will help gauge how MOCpages performs on its own hardware, without the overhead of having to buy any computers. This can help gauge what we will need to buy when the time comes. (Soon!)

For now, this upgrade was a “band aid” that needed to happen to get MOCpages back online. We are contractually obligated to stick with this new setup for 3 months... but I’ve been working on getting an upgrade plan together (thanks to Dan & Jen Boger, Eric at Northstar, and all the other folks who’ve been so much help so far!). A serious upgrade is slated for the next 3 to 6 months, to allow for future growth; I want to make sure MOCpages is here to stay.

There will be some intermittent downtime this afternoon as the computers are switched around, but nothing more than perhaps 15 minutes.

Sean
- - - - -
Sean Kenney
MOCpages.com Administrator