 Announcements / Creations (MOCs) / 3954
3953  |  3955
Subject:
1970s sets in microscale
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce.moc
Date:
Tue, 5 Jun 2007 13:12:56 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

Inspired by reading Gary Istok's Unofficial Lego Sets/Parts Collector's Guide
and webpages like Brickfetish, as well as delving into my own sense of nostalgia
for classic Lego sets, I have started to build some of my favorite sets of the
past in microscale.

First up is the 550 Windmill:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/thomasmain/Microscale/550/550-1.jpg

I was pleased with how the windmill came out, especially the base...not
completely satisfied with the house.

Next I tried the 555 Hospital:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/thomasmain/Microscale/555/555-1.jpg
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/thomasmain/Microscale/555/555-2.jpg

I would have liked to have had a red 1x2 plate with rail for the "sign" above
the door and a 2x2 red cross printed tile on top would have looked better.  A
problem tha I had with this building as well as some others is using a 1x4 arch
for driveways -- leaving a 2-wide space for vehicles.  My vehicles are two-wide,
but the "wheels" extend just beyond that profile, making them ever slightly too
wide for the driveways.

The most complex build in this series was the 580 Brick Yard:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/thomasmain/Microscale/580/580-1.jpg
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/thomasmain/Microscale/580/580-2.jpg
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/thomasmain/Microscale/580/580-3.jpg

I wanted this set to retain its full functionality in the microscale version.  I
am pleased with the solution I came up with for the conveyor belt - it works!
And the tipper truck is functional too (although I would have prefered blue 1x1
corner panels, they are rare and expensive in that color).  The crane slides
back and forth and raises and lowers its grabber claw (would be nice to have
these parts completely in yellow).  Although simple, I like how the digger
vehicle came out in this one.  I ran out of yellow 1x4 arches and had to use
black instead (most noticeable in the picture of the back of the building).  I
again ran into the problem of a 2-wide driveway with 2-wide vehicles' wheels
jutting out just slightly too much.

Next is a work in progress, the 725 Freight Train:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/thomasmain/Microscale/725/725-1.jpg
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/thomasmain/Microscale/725/725-2.jpg

Although it is a little squat, I am happy with the loco.  The tipper tips!
Still have to do the other cars in this set and consider the coupling of them
all.

I've had fun doing these.  I spend a lot of time trying to get the look right
and rebuilding a lot.  I am fairly new to microscale, so it has been a challenge
- but a fun one.  Like Douglas Coupland says, this allows me to get into a space
called "shape head."

Any suggestions for improvements or other ideas are most welcomed.

--
Thomas Main
thomasmain@charter.net