 Announcements / Creations (MOCs) / 3344

Subject:
Red lady mosaic
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce.moc
Date:
Sat, 29 Apr 2006 20:09:17 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

Brickshelf link

I like mosaics. I like SNOT. The unholy combination of these two resulted in what I’ll call mixed mosaics. (anyone willing to devise a witty acronym is free to do so.)

Anyway. The most basic mosaics are made with the studs pointing outward, using 1x1 bricks as the smallest units. This gives nice square mosaic tiles, which makes it easy for computer programs to make templates for mosaics. There are also side mosaics, where the sides of 1x1 plates are used. These are smaller than the outwardstuddded mosaics, but have the disadvantage of not being square. Also, they allow more detail in one direction. Unless you turn several parts if those mosaics sideways...

It’s actually quite simple. Using photoshop, I create two mosaics, horizontally and vertically. After that, I let the computer calculate for every 2x2 stud square which mosaic is most suited; horizontal or vertical.

So, with some clever fiddling one is able to create smoother, more detailed mosaics than previously possible. To test this theory, I created this mosaic:

I indicated which parts go which direction. The 2x2 pixel plates are plain colors, so they can be either horizonally or vertically constructed, depending on what’s most convenient.

If I find the time and a camera I’ll construct this one for real, but for now I’ll be building with theoretical bricks. At the moment I’m typing a photoshop walkthrough, which I hope to finish tonight.

And, as always, please let me know what you think.

Re: Red lady mosaic